This one-day course will enable clinicians to:
Aims of the one day course are
1. Introduction to Airway clearance techniques
2. Understand airways physiology, ‘normal’ airway clearance and reasons for sputum retention.
3. The AD Technique- explanation, delegate demo and try out–breathing pattern and lung volumes
4. The different breathing techniques, ACBT,PEP, Flutter, Acapella.
5. How breathing techniques work -physiological basis of the breathing technique and lung volume
6. Further to point 5 understand how the technique will be tailored to the individual patient
7. Understand the impact of pathology on sputum production and clearance
8. Understand the use and impact of Cough Assist, IPPB/NIV in ITU/Poorly Patients
9. Be able to evaluate patient problems and demonstrate a high level of reasoning when considering individual case studies.
Tutor: Dr. Paula Agostini PhD MSc MCSP
Dr Paula Agostini PhD MSc MCSP, is a Clinical Specialist Physiotherapist at Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust, working with patients undergoing thoracic surgery, both with acute and chronic pulmonary pathology. With 23 years clinical experience, most in respiratory care, she has many years of teaching experience also- under and post graduate, work based, university based, and on specific 1 and 2 day courses. She has published 12 papers to date, focussing on physiotherapy following thoracic surgery, and prevention of postoperative pulmonary complications. Much of her research has been presented both nationally and internationally. Paula has worked over many years with Jean Chevaillier, the developer of the AD technique, to define and explain the technique and the physiological basis for publication in order that therapists might have a better understanding of the principles. She has also explored the evidence base in a review paper. She has taught therapists the ‘art’ of AD since 2000, with the approval of Jean to do so. More recently in the courses, and for the first time in written form, advanced elements of the technique are passed on to therapists, directly as Jean has explained.
If you have a question about our event, Respiratory Physiotherapy day for the Advanced Practitioner: Dr Paula Agostini, please use the form below. We generally answer all questions within one business day.